Malwarebytes AdwCleaner is a free security tool that removes Adware, Foistware, Toolbars, Hijackers (spyware that changes your browser homepage) and PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs). You can use this tool to remove unwanted toolbars or third-party programs. Such 3rd party apps will usually come through software bundles (authors of particular free software agree to allow individual companies to "advertise" their crap often, during the setup process or later through annoying ads that act similar to pop-ups; when you open the application you can see ads running on your computer).
The purpose of this app is to help you get rid of such practices that can be easily identified as adware/spyware which is, after all, different chapters of malware. This application will run on Microsoft Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10 including both versions 32 and 64-bits.
Malwarebytes AdwCleaner Review
Important: Please note that some users reported the deletion of their browser preferences (e.g. Google Chrome Preferences) and extensions. Before using this program, you should back-up such data. For example, you can sync your browser settings with a Gmail account. Furthermore, you can even customize sync settings for Chrome - here's how. As a friendly FYI: this utility does not like toolbars (to be honest, as a user I hate them, especially those that are "packed" or offered as a "bonus" for software that I want to install).
Note: Before you run this program, please, close opened browsers, save your work or any opened files that you might have (also, a back-up is always recommended). After the scan, the program will require a restart of your computer.
It's incredibly easy to use Malwarebytes AdwCleaner. To keep things simple, I will list all the steps:
1. Download and install the program (this is an EXE file - you need to install the program as currently there's no portable version released).
2. Locate "AdwCleaner.exe," perform a right-click on it and choose "Run as Administrator."
3. The software interface will open, now, click on "Scan" button.
4. When the scan process finishes, you will see this message: "Pending. Please uncheck elements you don't want to remove."
5. (Optional step - only for experts) You can manually "review" each category from "Results" section such as "Services," "Folders," "Files" etc.
6. Click the "Clean" button - press "Ok," then again "Ok" - there's a final warning - your computer will restart if you're ready to click "OK."
7. The computer will restart, and the report will open automatically - it's a text file with all the details of the scan and removal process.
Conclusion: I don't have to say how good it is and what a great job does, this is another software that speaks for itself. It is regularly updated and will identify and remove a long list of malware (adware, PUPs, browser Hijackers, Unwanted Toolbars, and bloatware). Most common adware/spyware infections such as Conduit, Delta, Babylon, Funmoods, SaveByClick, Sweet Im, Claro, Search Certified-toolbar, DealPly, IMinent, PriceGong (and a lot of others - the list is growing with each new update) are easily recognized and removed.
As a tip, please note that it doesn't interact with other malware tools such as SpyBot Search and Destroy (free edition) or Junkware Removal Tool. As far as I know it should also work with most antivirus/antimalware products - I tested Malwarebytes AdwCleaner with Avira Antivirus Suite enabled, and it worked. My final recommendation is: add it to your favorite software list and use it, you never know when you might need it.
Select a version:
|adwcleaner_126.96.36.199.exe||Windows Portable||188.8.131.52||7.80 MB||3|